Do you share an unhealthy relationship with food? Do you eat too little? Are you obsessed with your body image and exercise? If yes, then chances are that you are suffering from anorexia nervosa, a type of eating disorder. People hold a misconception that this is a lifestyle disease. But actually it’s a mental condition and if left untreated, it can turn life threatening.
There is no single cause that is responsible for eating disorder. There are combinations of factors which include:
– Psychological factors: Emotional and psychological issues such as depression
– Genetic factors: if it runs in your family, it is likely that you too can experience this disorder.
– Traumatic experience: traumatic incidents may result in eating disorder.
– Societal issues: media images equating a particular body type or thinness with beauty can also cause anorexia nervosa, especially in girls.
Psychological counselling by an experienced psychotherapist can treat anorexia nervosa or any other type of eating disorder. The psychotherapist will go through your case history, understand the nature of your disorder and then tailor a specific treatment plan for you. Usually, all these treatments are aimed to normalise your weight and eating patterns. However, it also involves understanding the root cause of the disorder to prevent relapse.
Psychotherapy can help you develop a healthy eating pattern and achieve a healthy weight. It explores your behaviour and find out the root cause of the problem and help you develop healthy habits. Not only this, it also helps you monitor your mood and food intake so that you are able to cope with the disorder. It also helps you cope with stressful situations and improves your relationships.
A psychotherapist may use any of the following ways to treat this problem:
– Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: This is used for finding out the negative thinking patterns and beliefs that result in such disorders. Psychotherapist helps you cope with negative emotions and develop a healthy thought process.
– Psychotherapy: It also explores the thought processes responsible for this condition. Psychotherapy helps you learn ways to deal with stress and problem-solving techniques.
– Medical Nutrition Therapy: You will be provided with a regular diet plan and also there will be dietary modifications. This helps in improving your relationship with food.
Apart from that, psychotherapists use a lot of other methods to deal with eating disorders. If you are looking for a good psychotherapist in Kolkata to cure eating disorder problems, contact us at Moneralo.