Depression is a threat to human beings regardless of age. You can be a teen or a twenty-something and yet be a victim. But in seniors, it is very common and often unrecognizable. It’s not a flaw in their characters, nor does it prove weakness. Sometimes, it is a natural process that grips you with age! Psychological counseling offers a treatment for depressed person.
Symptoms for depression in seniors
Depression in seniors can be recognized through various symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling tired and having trouble sleeping
- Use of alcohol
- Feeling of helplessness and a difficulty in concentrating
- Constant overwhelming feeling
Remedy for depression
- We at Moner Alo, best psychiatrists in Barasat, provide top-notch counseling to older adults. The main remedy for depression is to provide psychological counseling and therapy. Depression, however bad it might be, can always be treated. Psychotherapy is a tried-and-tested form of psychological counseling.
- Sometimes, psychologists prescribe antidepressants to the depressed individuals. But, they can have side effects, and hence, the seniors should be monitored in such cases.
- Support groups are often very helpful for depressed seniors. Talking to people, who share the same symptoms, helps them feel safer in the environment.
- Increased physical activity may help with depression. Also, a brand-new hobby may help pass the time, and forget about the digressional symptoms for as long as possible. It’s better for their health to stay engaged in various activities.
- Spending more time outside than inside the closed walls of a room have immense positive effect on seniors.
At Moner Alo, we provide OCD treatment in Barasat and other areas of Kolkata. We are one of the leading psychiatric centers who see to it that our patients are absolutely cured, with no trace of mental trauma or depression justify in them. For the seniors, to grow out of depression might not be the easiest thing to do, but with continuous treatment, they can dream of a better future as well. At such an old age, their smiles and laughter matter the most, and to promise and deliver a better future for them is on top of our priority list.