Although the exact reason for various mental illness is still a matter of extensive research; however, one thing is clear that these conditions are influenced by various psychological, biological, and environmental factors. Let’s take a look at the various factors that result in mental disorders:
1. Psychological Factors
Various psychological factors can result in mental trauma which ultimately leads to mental disorders. These factors include:
* Constant neglect
* Psychological trauma during early childhood such as physical, sexual or emotional abuse
* Loss of a parent or any loved one
* Incapability to connect with others or social situations
2. Biological Factors
Imbalances in brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters can also lead to mental disorders. These neurotransmitters facilitate the flow of communication between the nerve cells in the brain. If the flow of these chemicals is hampered, the nerve cells may not function properly. Moreover, any brain injury may also cause mental illness. Other biological factors responsible for mental disorder include:
* Heredity: Mental illness might also run in family. People who have a family member with a particular mental disorder are more likely to develop the same. Experts also believe that mental illness is also related to gene abnormalities.
* Infections: Several infections, such as Paediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder or PANDA, can result in mental illness such as obsessive-compulsive disorder.
* Brain Injury or defects: Injury to certain parts of the brain can affect its normal functioning, causing mental disorder.
* Prenatal Damage: Trauma caused during the time of birth (such as lack of oxygen) can give rise to certain conditions such as autism.
* Other factors: Poor nutrient supply or exposure to toxins also triggers mental disorders.
3. Environmental Factors
There are a lot of environmental factors or stressors that can trigger mental illness in persons who are susceptible to such disorders. These stressors include:
* A disturbed family life
* Death of a loved one or divorce
* Anxiety, low self-esteem, loneliness or anger
* Social or cultural expectations (for instance, society that upholds thinness as a measurement of beauty can result in people developing eating disorders)
* Substance abuse
We hope that these factors will help you understand the ground that triggers mental illness. In case any of your loved ones is suffering from any mental illness, consult a psychiatrist immediately. If you are looking for psychiatrists in Kolkata, get in touch with us at moneralo.com .